Assembling the wooden screen is simple, but be prepared to get grimy while rooting around the salvage yard for matching hinges.
1. Lay the shutters side by side on a worktable, and align their bottoms using a straightedge. (Shutter heights may vary, so be sure to use the bottoms as the baseline when taking measurements.)
2. Arrange one pair of hinges along the gap between two shutters, about a foot down from the top, and the other the same distance up from the bottom. Measure from the bottom of the shutters to the bottom edge of the hinge leaves and mark their locations.
3. Using a combination square, transfer those marks to the back of the third shutter to position the second pair of hinges.
4. Use your pencil to mark the locations of the screw holes. Then, remove the hinges and bore the holes for their fasteners.
5. Reposition the hinges and drive in the screws.
6. Push soft vinyl furniture glides into the bottom corners of the two end shutters to help level the screen and prevent it from scuffing up your floors when you move it.
7. Set up your finished screen, and kick back with a book.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.