Hi everyone, I have been working on some videos and tips about restoring antique furniture, in this tutorial, I will be showing you how to remove a scratch from a wooden table.
- First, colour the scratch, using a wood dye (be sure that it matches the wood), apply using a soft rag.
- As this dries, it will catch the light so next get a wax stick and push it over the scratch applying a lot of pressure – repeat this a few times until you have completely filled the scratch.
- Use a plastic scraper to remove any excess wax.
- Get an apple sized amount of cotton wool and fill the wool with a mix of French polish and Methylated sprits (50/50) – wrap this in a soft cloth and beat on the back of your hand.
- Add some solution onto the face of the cloth.
- Apply the solution with long steady strokes, dropping off the end of the furniture and hitting it moving.
- Leave to dry – it is ready!
Tip: Don't let the polish get too dry, otherwise it will drag on the surface and remove any existing polish.
It’s Black Friday week on WonderHowTo! Don’t miss out on all of the big sales in the Gadget Hacks and Null Byte shops. And if you’ve been wanting to take some classes without going into debt, check out our best deals on online courses for a variety of skill sets. Don’t miss out on these huge discounts: